The Progress Software Mary Székely Scholarship for Women in STEM was created to commemorate Mary Székely (pronounced: “See-kay”), who served as the company’s co-founder and lead technologist for more than 30 years. Mary was instrumental in Progress becoming known as the trusted provider of infrastructure software products – a charge that Progress continues to this day. She had a deep love for math and science and was influential in the industry at a time when women pursuing careers in STEM were rare. Mary passed away in June 2019 but left an indelible mark on those who had the opportunity to work with her.
Progress will award one four-year renewable scholarship of $10,000 annually to a student who identifies as a woman from Massachusetts who is planning to major in computer science, software engineering, IT, and/or computer information systems in college. They must also exemplify Mary Székely’s qualities, including, but not limited to, dedication, generosity, and loyalty; strong work ethic; highest personal integrity; passion for learning; a leader, innovator, teacher, mentor, and trailblazer.
For the purpose of this scholarship, STEM is defined as computer science, software engineering, IT, and/or computer information systems.
The Progress Software Mary Székely Scholarship for Women in STEM scholarship recipient must meet the following eligibility requirements. The candidate must:
- Identify as a woman
- Be a resident of Massachusetts and a US citizen or permanent resident eligible for federal financial aid
- Plan to major in computer science, software engineering, IT, and/or computer information systems
- Have a financial need
- Be a high school senior OR high school graduate who plans to enroll OR is currently enrolled in an accredited university, college, community college, or trade school
- Have a cumulative high school unweighted GPA above 3.2 on a 4.0 scale (or its equivalent)
- Have a desire to make meaningful contributions in the fields of computer science, software engineering, IT, and/or computer information systems
Once you create an account and log in, there should be an opportunity to enter an Access Code at the top of the page. Please enter: MARY