APPLICATION PROCESS FOR 2021-2022 HAS CLOSED.
Information for the 2022-23 school year will be available in early 2022.
Thermo Fisher Scientific’s mission is to enable its customers to make the world healthier, cleaner, and safer. One way that it fulfills this mission is by being a socially responsible community partner and a promoter of academic excellence. As part of its corporate philanthropy strategy, Thermo Fisher Scientific offers a merit and need based scholarship program for the children of full-time employees to encourage their pursuit of higher education and support their academic goals.
The Thermo Fisher Scientific Scholarship Program for Children of Employees is a competitive program that provides financial grants to eligible children who are pursuing a college degree. The program offers renewable scholarships covering up to four years of full-time undergraduate study leading to a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) at accredited post-secondary institutions in the United States or the United Kingdom.
The program is administered by The Philanthropic Initiative (TPI), an operating unit of The Boston Foundation, in accordance with federal rules applicable to employer-related scholarship programs. In compliance with IRS regulations, the number of scholarships granted will be equal to or less than 25 percent of the eligible applications received each year. Scholarships will be granted without regard to race, color, ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, or disability.
- Applicants must be dependent children (defined as natural and legally adopted children or stepchildren living in the employee’s household or primarily supported by the employee) of active, full-time employees of Thermo Fisher as of the date of the scholarship award. The employee must have been employed full-time by the company for six consecutive months prior to the application deadline. Children of career band thirteen (13) employees are not eligible for the program.
- Applicants must be pursuing, or planning to pursue, a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) at an accredited undergraduate college or university in the United States or the United Kingdom.
- Recipients must be scheduled to enroll, or already enrolled, full-time in the college or university for the upcoming academic year.
Maximum scholarship amounts have been determined based on average tuition costs in each country and are as follows:
- Up to $5,000 per academic year for students attending school in the United States
- Up to $3,000 per academic year for students attending university in the United Kingdom
Scholarships will be determined based on university costs and are renewable for up to three additional years or until a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) is earned, whichever occurs first. Renewal of the scholarship is contingent upon the student maintaining the equivalent of a U.S. grade point average of 3.0 or higher. Scholarships can be used for tuition, academic fees and required educational expenses, and will be paid directly to the university on behalf of the student. Any amount of a Thermo Fisher Scientific scholarship that cannot be applied to educational expenses, due to other scholarships or grants received, is to be returned to the scholarship program.
A scholarship review committee, independent of Thermo Fisher Scientific, will review all applications and render the scholarship selections.
The following criteria will be used to select recipients:
- Academic achievement
- Extracurricular activities, community involvement and demonstration of leadership
- University or college of acceptance
- Financial need
- Applicant’s statement of goals and aspirations
Interested students must complete all required information in the online application by June 1, 2021. All information submitted through the application process will be treated confidentially to the greatest extent possible while still allowing the review and processing of the application.
There are two different applications this year–one for students attending school in the United States and another for students attending university in the United Kingdom for the upcoming academic year. Please take note and complete the application that applies to your situation.