The Mary Cafolla Wallace Nursing Scholarship Program is a new scholarship that aims to support adult students residing in Massachusetts, who are pursuing a second career in nursing, to obtain their Associate Degree in Nursing or Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
Mary Cafolla Wallace was the child of Italian immigrants who persevered to become a registered nurse in 1951. She was a strong patient advocate and believed in the healing powers of a good nurse. She had a long and varied career in nursing, caring for patients from the beginning to the end of life. Her friends, family and former patients described her after her death as a nurse’s nurse; smart, professional, collaborative and caring, with a wicked sense of humor. She always believed that people could have a second act; reinvent themselves to better their lives with assistance from others. This scholarship honors her by extending help to adult learners who wish to become a nurse.
The ideal candidate will have some experience in the medical field and strong desire to become a nurse. This scholarship and support program seeks to identify students, where additional financial support will make a difference in their ability to fulfill their goal of obtaining a degree and becoming a nurse.
The program is funded by the Timothy and Deborah Moore Charitable Foundation and administered by The Philanthropic Initiative (TPI).
- Multi-year renewable scholarship to cover tuition, fees, books, supplies and educational expenses at accredited, not-for-profit, nursing schools in New England.
- Scholarship amounts will be determined based on the financial aid award package the student receives from the school they choose to attend and their unmet financial need. Scholarship amounts will be up to $20,000 per year.
- Current residents of Massachusetts who are eligible to apply for federal financial aid.
- Adults ages 24-55.
- Planning to pursue a second career in nursing and obtain either an Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) or a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN).
- Must already have an Associate or Bachelor’s degree, and plan to or are currently studying nursing.
- Entering or currently enrolled in nursing school.
- Must have an unmet financial need.
- Preference will be given to students with experience in a medical setting.
- Strong academic record in the sciences (GPA of 3.0 or higher in science courses)
- Planning to attend a not-for-profit, accredited nursing school in one the following states: CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, or VT in the fall of 2024.
- Hybrid programs (with a combination of online and in person classes) are eligible, provided most nursing classes are taken in person.
Renewal of the scholarship is contingent upon the student maintaining a grade point average of 3.0 or higher (on a 4.0 scale, or equivalent) and having unmet financial need. Recipients of the scholarship will be required to complete a short renewal application annually to receive the scholarship for the following year.
Once you create an account and log in, there should be an opportunity to enter an Access Code at the top of the page. Please enter: NURSING24
February 1, 2024: Application available
May 6, 2024: Applications due
July: Scholarship decisions will be emailed to all applicants using the email address provided in the student’s application
August: Scholarship payment sent to nursing schools of those awarded
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (617) 338-5890